The top seven European truck brands must be looking to the East with great interest as the yet un-named Turkish designed and built heavy duty tractor-unit is soon to enter the maketplace, offering high levels of power, efficiency and driver comfort, together with class leading connectivity.
Bearing a striking resemblance to some of the latest Europen truck designs, the name will be revealed at the IAA CV Show 2018 at the Hannover Messe, Germany, along with details of its interior featuring the generic Ford Motor Company design theme.
Main details in brief of the new 4×2 tractor, which will enter Eastern European markets iniatially, then Western Europe, Asia and South America:
- Totally newly designed 2.5m wide, high roof cab
- Airline cockpit-style dashboard
- Low internal floor providing 2160mm to ceiling height
- 90mm engine tunnel height
- Generous storage capacity with patented airplane type upper bunk stowage with 90 degree foldable upper bed.
- Best in class interior engine noise reduction
- Low Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) is key attribute of the new drivetrain, thanks to its powerful and efficient 13 litre Euro 6D Ecotorq diesel engine, developed in-house:
- 500hp with 2500Nm torque
- 400 kW Engine brake power (with intarder = total braking power 1000 kW)
- Fuel efficiency improvement of up to 6% and maintanence cost reduction estimated at 7%, compared to the existing Ford Cargo heavy duty truck, thanks to superior aerodynamics, powertrain calibration and technical features.
- Up to 7% reduction in maintenance costs with long service
- Telematics and Connectivity through:
- 8” colour cluster screen / 7.2” LCD multimedia touchscreen
- Up to 4% fuel efficiency with MaxCruise – Predictive Cruise Control
The new Ford Trucks’ long haul tractor offers high levels of driver comfort and luxury items as standard in this stand alone model, due to its modern design and driver-focused approach. All dashboard functions are within easy reach and the sense of spaciousness has to be appreciated.
With the lower Total Cost of Ownership, smart technology comes in the form of ConnecTruck, offering a wide-ranging benefits. These include remote monitoring of the vehicle using remote diagnostic and over-the-air software. The special topographic map reading through Predictive Cruise Control enables the vehicle to analyze road conditions, allowing to drive at the optimum speed, thereby reducing fuel consumption by up to 4%.
Everything from the tyre pressure monitoring system to driver evaluation functions can be displayed on the 8” colour cluster screen.
The new Ford Trucks tractor-unit is a finalist in the International Truck of the Year 2019 Award contest.