Companies and individuals across the logistics sector were rewarded for their outstanding performance and professionalism at the annual United Kingdom Warehousing Association (UKWA) Awards 2019, which took place at London’s Dorchester Hotel on 27 Junelast.
The Culina Group, the well-known transport company on both sides of the Irish Sea, won the Logistics Service Provider of the Year Award, sponsored by Aisle Master.
Culina Logistics is an ambient and chilled food and drink logistics specialist providing warehousing, distribution, contract packing and bonded services across the UK and Ireland. The business has a turnover upwards of £650million, employs 6,700 people across 62 sites, operates more than 8 million sq ft of warehousing and runs a fleet of 1,200 trucks and 2,000 trailers. In 2018 the company acquired Robson’s – a market-leader in time-critical fresh produce logistics, and Foodpack – a move which significantly extends Culina’s overall offering.
Commenting on the success of the awards event marking the 75th Anniversary of the organisation, UKWA CEO, Peter Ward,said: “UKWA’s Annual Lunch and Awards has always been widely regarded as one of the premier occasions in the logistics industry’s calendar. Our Awards are established as symbols of achievement that emphasise the importance of logistics within today’s economy and the high number and quality of the entries we receive each year underlines the professionalism that runs through the modern logistics industry.”
“The Awards reward the developments in new technology that are shaping the way supply chains operate, highlight the importance of training and education within our industry and show the career opportunities that the modern logistics industry offers to ambitious and hard working young people. By showcasing all that is good about our sector UKWA’s Awards amply demonstrate that our industry is fit for purpose and ready to meet the challenges of the digital world today and in the years to come. Congratulations to all the finalists and, of course, the winners and special thanks to our sponsors for their outstanding support.”
A total of 10 UKWA Awards were presented and the winners were:
- Best New UKWA Member- Sponsored by Aganto – Winner: Karl King Transport
- Young Employee of the Year – Sponsored by Hoppecke – Winner: Ryan Walker, 3P Logistics
- Warehouse Manager of the Year – Sponsored by Hormann – Winner: Craig Perrin, Hemisphere Freight
- Award for Innovation – Sponsored by Elokon –Winner: Pallite
- Training Award – Sponsored by Mentor – Winner: Core Management Logistics (CML)
- Environment Award – Sponsored by SmartFreight – Winner: Durable UK
- Infrastructure Project – Sponsored by Bito Storage Systems – Winner: Expect Distribution
- Customer Service – Sponsored by Luxonic – Winner: Arrow XL
- Logistics Service Provider of the Year – Sponsored by Aisle Master – Winner: Culina Logistics
- Chairman’s Award – Sponsored by DP World London Gateway – Winner: Tony Mannix, Clipper Logistics