Here it is, the successor to the long serving LF series from DAF Trucks.
The new DAF XB raange includes a comprehensive range of battery electric and conventionally powered vehicles, with a focus on supporting transport companies in their transition to zero emissions. The new DAF XB combines an extremely low environmental footprint with class-leading efficiency, safety and comfort.
Details in brief:
- New DAF XB series; setting new standards for city and regional distribution
- Tailor-made solutions between 7.5- and 19-tonnes GVW
- Lowest carbon footprint paired with class-leading efficiency, safety and comfort
- Battery electric, zero emissions for urban distribution
- 12-, 16- and 19-tonne GVW variants
- Ranges of up to 350 kilometres
- Battery charging from 20 to 80% in only 40 to 70 minutes
- Dedicated sales support, planning advice, training and range of static and portable PACCAR chargers
- Powerful and efficient PACCAR PX-5 and PX-7 engines
- 124 kW (170 hp) to 227 kW (310 hp).
- Peak torque at low engine speeds for down-speeding and class leading fuel efficiency
- 8-speed, fully automatic PowerLine transmission
- Ready for HVO (up to 90% CO2 reduction ‘well-to-wheel’)
- New standards in safety
- Full set of ADAS systems
- Outstanding direct vision
- New standards in driver comfort
- High quality Day, Extended Day and Sleeper Cabs
- Outstanding accessibility
- New customisable digital display
- Best-in-class manoeuvrability
- New DAF XBC for Construction applications
- High ground clearance of 255mm
- Excellent approach angle of 25 degrees
- The new DAF XB builds upon DAF Trucks’ market leading position in the UK distribution sector between 7.5- and 18-tonnes GVW. The new distribution models will continue and enhance the lightweight and middleweight DAF rigid’s characteristics of outstanding manoeuvrability, an impressively small turning circle, great driver visibility and class-leading cab comfort, all built around a robust and reliable chassis and driveline.The new DAF XB series – which will enter production in the fourth quarter of 2023 – represents a new series of class-leading distribution trucks, offering a tailor-made solution for all urban and regional applications including many vocational applications. The range includes ultra-modern ‘zero emission’ electric powertrains, demonstrating DAF’s environmental leadership. Together with the new standards in efficiency, safety and driver comfort, the DAF XB series is ready for the livable city.With the addition the new XB series, DAF completes its New Generation line-up, sitting alongside XD, XF, XG and XG+ trucks for distribution, long haul and vocational applications – all introduced over the course of just 18-months. The New Generation XB – including a 19-tonne XBC construction model– completes DAF’s extensive, multiple award-winning product range.
Zero emission city distribution
DAF Trucks was the first European truck manufacturer to offer a range of battery electric trucks to the market, while further expanding its environmental credentials with New Generation XD and XF Electric models.
Today, DAF further expands its zero-emission product offering with the new DAF XB Electric which is ideally suited to sustainable inner-city and regional distribution operations. Next to 16- and 19-tonne GVW models, a 12-tonne model with 17.5-inch wheels and a single entry-step is available. Wheelbases start from 4.2 metres.
The e-motor propelling the XB Electric provides 120 or 190 kW of nominal power depending on specification, and a nominal torque of 950 and 1,850 Nm respectively (2,600 and 3,500 Nm peak). For the lowest possible environmental impact and highest durability, DAF employs cobalt and magnesium-free, lithium iron phosphate (LFP – Lithium Ferro Phosphate) high energy-density battery packs with a gross energy content of 141 up to 282 kWh. These allow XB Electric ranges of up to 350 kilometres of ultra-quiet, zero emission operation; more than enough to satisfy the needs of urban distribution transport applications.
DAF introduces the New Generation DAF XB trucks, a full series of fully electric and diesel distribution vehicles in the 7.5- to 19-tonne GVW categories.
Fast and slow charging
A special feature of the new DAF XB Electric is the ‘Combined Charging System’. This allows the truck to be charged through the regular electricity network and is ideal when vehicles return to base at the end of the day. Rapid charging the batteries (650V DC, 150 kW) from 20% to 80% takes a mere 40 to 70 minutes, depending on specification.
To support customers optimally in the transition to zero emission road transport, DAF’s comprehensive offering also includes a broad range of PACCAR charging solutions, advice on planning of routes and charging, and the provision of dedicated training for drivers to get the best out of their vehicles.