MAHA Ireland is continuing with its dedicated efforts to upgrade Commercial Vehicle Roadworthiness Test (CVRT) centres with its new DUO CM scissor lift, to ensure they adhere to Road Safety Authority (RSA) guidelines. After initially receiving orders early last year and the first installation completed in the September, MAHA Ireland is pleased to report that 14 further installations were finalised in 2023 and at least 10 more are due to be completed within the first few months of 2024.
Why are CVRTs needing to update equipment?
MAHA Ireland is encouraging CVRT test centres to take essential, immediate action and replace CVRT test equipment to align itself with the 2022 Premises and Equipment Guidelines (PEG) and outcomes of the 2019 strategic review of CVRT testing. Specifically related to lifting equipment, all authorised testing centres must have at least one inspection lift that complies with the 2022 PEG regulations – i.e. 5 tonne minimum capacity with 5.2 length platforms. The deadline for compliance is either the 18th December 2025 or 2026 for 10-year or three-year renewals respectively.
Step forward MAHA Ireland’s new DUO CM
In response to the legislative changes, MAHA Ireland introduced an updated model of the DUO CM 5.0 U scissor lift. Completely compliant with RSA guidelines, the scissor lift was redesigned with new lift platforms to accommodate longer wheelbases found on LCVs, such as the Volkswagen Crafter and MAN TGE. The lift also integrates MAHA Ireland’s latest axle play detectors (PMS 3/X), which, again, have been adapted in accordance with RSA’s current equipment guidelines, in-line with the EU Directive 2014/45EC.
MAHA DUO CM 5.0 U scissor lift key features:
- Flush floor installation, offering a 5.0t lift capacity.
- Designed with a robust and well-established structure, prioritising high vehicle throughput and an extended service life.
- Demonstrates high lateral stability and bending strength for enhanced safety.
- Equipped with latches and cylinder racks as an additional safety feature.
- Boasts an elevated lifting height exceeding 2,100mm
PMS 3/X axle play detector key features:
- Integrated into scissor lift, ensuring seamless functionality.
- Powerful and even movement facilitated by a hydraulic drive system.
- Low-noise oil-submerged hydraulic unit for a quieter testing environment.
- Allows for one-hand operation without the need to lift the vehicle.
- Features a wireless radio inspection light with LED for efficient test plate movements.
MAHA Ireland Managing Director, Eoin Mallon, explained further: “At MAHA Ireland, our commitment to supporting the high standards of Commercial Vehicle Roadworthiness Testing (CVRT) is unwavering. We understand the crucial role CVRT centres play in ensuring road safety, and that’s why we have introduced the new DUO CM 5.0 U scissor lift, a solution that not only meets but exceeds the requirements laid out by the Road Safety Authority (RSA). This lift, with its innovative features and compliance with the latest guidelines, is testament to our dedication to the safety and efficiency of the CVRT process. As we continue with installations across the country, we are proud to be at the forefront of this journey, ensuring CVRT centres are well-equipped to face the evolving landscape of vehicle testing.”