Moffett Automated Storage Limited was named as Overall National SFA Small Business Winner 2023, announced
by the Small Firms Association (SFA). The Awards celebrate the achievements of small businesses in Ireland and recognise the important and vital contributions of this sector to the Irish economy. Thirty-six finalists and five Emerging New Businesses were selected from hundreds of applications received for the 2023 programme. Jones International Transport, Dublin won the Services Award.
Moffett Automated Storage provides a fully automated storage solution to warehouses that use pallets. The company covers all aspects from warehouse design and planning; engineering and production of machinery; installation of equipment, software development together with aftersales support and maintenance. Moffett has worldwide customers and their products can apply to any company that stores pallets on a medium to large scale. Moffett machines work 24 hours, 365 days a year in any environmental conditions between -30c to +40c. Their backup support team offers a 24 hour service to resolve any issues.
Based in Clontibret, County Monaghan, Moffett was started in 2017 by Sam Moffett and employs 28 people. The company offers a unique service in Ireland and has very few competitors worldwide. Moffett invests 50% of software development into research and development leading to further growth in this recession-proof business.
Announcing the winner, Geraldine Magnier, SFA Chair said: “Moffett Automated Storage is a model company for indigenous businesses in Ireland. It is a strong profitable company that strives to be the best in its industry with a focus on continuous improvements. Various Moffett companies have contributed greatly to employment and success in County Monaghan and this newest venture shows that Moffett companies will continue to do so into the future.”
The nine category winners are:
- Manufacturing sponsored by Permanent TSB: Moffett Automated Storage, Co Monaghan
- Food and Drink sponsored by Bord Bia: Dairyglen Products, Bray, Co Wicklow
- Services sponsored by Sage: Jones International Transport, Co Dublin
- Outstanding Small Business sponsored by CISCO: The Agile Executive, Dublin 18
- Highly Commended: Dingle Sea Safari, Dingle, Co Kerry
- Retail sponsored by One4all Rewards: Nolan Butchers of Kilcullen, Co Kildare
- Innovator of the Year sponsored by National Standards Authority of Ireland (NSAI): Moffett Automated Storage, Co Monaghan
- Highly Commended: ZEUS Scooters, Co Carlow
- Exporter of the Year, sponsored by Enterprise Ireland: Bevcraft Group, Co Westmeath
- Sustainability sponsored by Strategic Banking Corporation of Ireland (SBCI):The FACTORY, Birr, Co Offaly
- Workplace Wellbeing sponsored by DeCare: Beat 102-103, Waterford
The Emerging New Business award is a category to encourage emerging entrepreneurs to promote and grow their business. The winners are: Climeaction, Cobh, Co. Cork; Ecco Spray, Galway; JUSTTIP, Dublin; ReaDI-Watch, Malahide, Co Dublin and The Smooth Company, Nova UCD. Entrants in this category are under two years in business and the winners were identified by the judging panel as companies that will grow into successful organisations.
This is the 19th year of the SFA National Small Business Awards, an initiative of the Small Firms Association. The Awards prize package for ALL finalists included a strategic management masterclass; participation in the SFA Business Connect event in February. The total prize for finalists is valued at €50,000 each. The category winners were presented with a trophy and free membership of the Small Firms Association for one year. The overall winner also received a bursary of €5,000 to present to a charity of their choice funded by the 2022 National Small Business Awards Overall Winner Aalto Bio Reagents.